1. i don't know why it took me this long to get around to watching the big C. it's laura linney afterall. that should have been a dead giveaway. and then there's the rest of the cast... oliver platt, gabore sidibey, patricia nixon, and the guy who plays the brother... awesome. well-written, authentic character development, flawed but not over the top characters, and clever... not in a laugh out loud kind of way but just lots of real life moments that generally don't make their way onto the small screen. i'm hooked.
2. if you're looking for a fun, lively place to eat in montreal, i highly recommend icehouse.
3. crayons through a hot glue gun: who would have thought?!
4. i think i may need to start a thumbprint friend tree.
i know a lot of girls have been bridesmaids ten times over but this is my first time. most people in quebec aren't very traditional that way, and a lot of my friends are just happy to live in sin. i was a witness once, which is a sort-of bridesmaid, but this is going to be the real deal, with dresses and all. i'm super jazzed.
today, the bride (i like to call her kristy) and i were discussing identical bridesmaids dresses versus different-but-common-denominator dresses so, tonight, i did a little research. the more pics i saw, the more i liked DBCD.
they seem more authentic/less let's-try-to-look-like-they-do-in-the-movies. it also seems like it would be a lot simpler to coordinate since the bridesmaids are all in different cities and can't go shopping together. but, ultimately, if kristy asked me to wear a leopard-print, polyester skort with matching chenille turtleneck, i would.
i hope the rest of you won't mind if occasionally use this space to share ideas with my friend. promise not to get all psycho obsessed maidzilla on you.
also, for the record, being asked to be someone's bridesmaid is completely heart-melting. and, tonight, as i stop to think about what being asked to be a bridesmaid means... like having someone say: "out of everyone i know, you are the one i want by my side as i do this... you are my people"... my heart melts even more.
and i'm reminded of the first time i met kristy, and of how the first thing i said to her was: "wow, you have red hair!", which is probably the lamest thing ever said in the history of first meeting someone. and then, later the same night: "wow, you have little teeth!" (sometimes, i have no filter). and, at this point, i think we can all agree that most girls would have written me off as either a complete ditz or a bit of a twat. but kristy just laughed, and, amazingly, still wanted to be my friend.
and i'm also reminded of the hundreds of times we have called or emailed each other just to say: "i'm fat" or "my armpits smell like a hockey bag". and of how much i love her for that.
and how, the weekend before i was set to start hairdressing school, i had a total paralyzed-with-fear/am-i-totally-about-to-screw-up-my-life meltdown, and she and matt came over right away and talked me through it and made everything ok. and how i may not even have made it to hair school or to where i am now without them.
or the time i sliced my hand open as i was doing the dishes and i couldn't bring myself to look at it to see if i needed stitches because the sight of my own bloody hand-guts made me squirm and gag. so i called kristy and she sent matt over to do it for me. (i needed stitches... 7 to be exact)
and of how, sometimes, she loves me more than i love me.
and of how, sometimes, i love her more than she loves herself.
and how, in her very early dating days with matt, she called me, upset. they had had an argument or disagreement or something, and she was concerned about their future together and, even then, i knew it was nothing that they weren't going to resolve because it was clear, even from the very early start, that they were so ridiculously right for each other. and i usually get annoyed when people say that about couples because it sounds so cliché... but, in this case, it's just the truth. they're an awesome team.
and of what an absolutely stand-up human being she is. funny and smart and real and adorable and determined and humble and caring and loyal and small-toothed... all the things you would ever want in a friend... all the things you would ever want "your people" to be.
sending love and healing thoughts... out there... into the world...
to the people of norway...
to the troubled boy who committed such a heinous act...
to the lovely songbird whose light went out too soon...
to jack layton...
to those friends and loved ones who have their own struggles to contend with...
to everyone who needs love and healing right now...
there's a place in my heart for you ♥
3. julia nunes (of youtube fame) wanted to raise $15 000 on kickstarter to record her new album. she raised $77 888 instead. i love this story.
4. a couple of weeks ago, i got completely sucked into this show. all of the episodes are on youtube in 10 minutes chunks. and you might think it's more of a dude show but it's not, really. friendship, adventure, overcoming fear, humour, cutie ewan mcgregor: lots of good stuff to sink your eyes and ears into. in a matter of something like 48 hours, i had watched all of the episodes. if you want to do the same, you can start here.