Monday, May 13, 2013

playlist: jonathan nigro.


i met my friend jonathan about 5 years ago.
we've hung out exactly one time together, in person, for real.
he lives in the states.  i do not.
but we stay in touch.
through texts, email, and social media, mostly.
it's all very 21st century.

not to minimize his other talents but, when it comes to jonathan, there are basically 2 things to know:
1- he's an awesome drummer (i realize that i sometimes use the word "awesome" too lightly/easily - this is not one of those times).  he's been in more bands than anyone i know.  these bands include but are not limited to: world atlas, atari, translove airways, joe bataan, snakes & music, and sun airway.  his current project is jackets.
2- he loves his dog ophie.

i asked some friends to compile a list of the 10 songs they've listened to most in the past year.
in no particular order, this is jonathan's:

- Spiritualized -- Take Your Time -- Royal Albert Hall October 10 1997
This is by no means my favorite Spiritualized song, but this live version moves me. It is a beautiful ascension to heights not found on the album version. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiaLcxz_tkE

- The Specials -- Too Much Too Young -- The Singles Collection
I watched This is England for the first time while living in Portland last summer and became slightly obsessed with all things Skinhead (the good kind) and Rude Boy. This album was constantly going.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MYBlSF_HTs
 
- Grand Funk Railroad -- Footstompin' Music -- Classic Masters
I'm a sucker for vintage honky funk and you can't get much better than Grand Funk. This track will make the most jaded soul want to move it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NXgM_LGQA

- The Misfits -- Angelfuck -- Box Set (disc 4)
This is, in my humble opinion, the best American punk band of all time. They are NJ meatheads and the lyrics are just dumb, but I can't deny my love of Danzig's vocal styling and melodies. You can't help but feel badass rocking this tune, especially in the edgeless American NW. Punk rock NE style!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgBJHUaC_Zo

- Camera Obscura -- Let's Get Out of This Country -- Let's Get Out of This Country
I always go to Camera Obscura to get my fill of twee pop when I have become slightly weary of Belle & Sebastian (who I adore). Put it on and drive into the country with a big smile on your face people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a010PbaiHs

- Tender Trap -- Do You Want a Boyfriend? -- Dansette Dansette
My best friend turned me on to this group, featuring the undeniably amazing Amelia Fletcher of Heavenly fame. It's just really good and the video features the Betsey Trotwood pub in London where I played on tour with my twee band, which I thought was neat. Who doesn't love all things Charles Dickens?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFbLEjsdQQY

- The Charlatans -- Jesus Hairdo -- a compilation made by a friend
I've loved The Charlatans (UK) since I first heard The Only One I Know over two decades ago. Baggy Britpop just felt right to me. I unearthed this mixed CD my friend (who I was madly in love with) made for me while I was packing for Portland. A little side note, I was in attendance at the Philadelphia Charlatans' show where the drummer collapsed mid song due to a brain tumor. It was awful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmhUrCCJCsg

- Lilys -- Nanny in Manhattan -- Better Can't Make Your Life Better
This album is just good from top to bottom. It's been in my top ten every year since I bought it oh so long ago. I saw them on tour for this record at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ, a great venue to see anybody play. Also, the TOTPs performance of this song was played LIVE and is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mCIk9_7CU


- REM -- Hyena -- Life's Rich Pageant
It's one of the best bands ever and one of their best albums, what more can I say? This song is just amazing. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCV1RGW1pc

No comments:

Post a Comment